Are you putting the right claims on your package?
One cannot argue the fact that we as consumers are influenced by packaging. A great design is like pheromones, we see something we like and the alarms start sounding in our brains. Matter of fact, Packaging Digest reported an estimated one-third of all consumers’ decision-making is based on packaging. With so much competition, you have seconds to get your point of differentiation across to your consumer. Brands must be sure the claims they choose to call-out, present their product in the best light. Here are a few key things to consider when deciding which claims are best for your brand:
- Decide which claims are the most important to highlight and be sure they align with your brand.
- Be sure the claims are on point with why you want consumers to purchase your product and that they distinguish you from your competitors.
- Know your market. Researching your current customer base is a great place to dissect their reasons for buying from you, but don’t stop there. Pull in research from your target audience to see their buying attitudes as well.
- What are your competitors saying? Take a look at their on-pack claims as a gauge for your product claims.
Now that you’ve done your homework…
- Compile all of the research from your current customer base, target audience and competitor analysis to firm up your potential, on-pack claim list.
- Here is the tricky part…Avoid claim overload! Be logical in deciding which claims to put on-pack. Remember your consumers needs and why they need your product. Attempting to use them all will cause confusion, potentially leading to a lost audience.
- Be sure the chosen claims are satisfying customer needs, align with your brand’s objectives, are legally compliant, are right for the retailer, and above all, are truthful and can be verified as so.
- Be sure to test your claims with online surveys or focus groups to give your findings validation. This will help ensure you’re putting the right claim on your packaging!
Still confused about on-pack claims? Please schedule a free, 30-minute introductory call with us, we’d be happy to clear up the confusion!